All that aside – while we all know a sunburn is serious sun damage there are a great many types of serious damage most people ignore. If you are planning a warm weather holiday this winter be aware of this list – it is important:
1. Freckles – people with freckles are more prone to much more serious types of skin damage. Freckles are sun damage unto them selves – an no – no one is born with freckles. They appear as the skin is exposed to UV light. Usually in early childhood. Freckles are always brown in colour and flat in texture.
2. Age Spots – this name is misleading because this discolouration has nothing to do with age. It is a very severe type of sun damage that should be check by a dermatologist annually. Age spots are always flat and dark brown to grey in colour.
3. Actinic Keratosis – often ignored and confused with age spots (which are why age spots should be checked annually) this is precursor to serious skin cancer. This discolouration often appears in clusters on the face, neck, scalp and hands. The definitive difference between AK is that the discolouration is surrounded by obvious red inflammation.
4. Tan – this is serious sun damage. There is no such thing as a healthy tan. A tan is the body’s response to absorbing UV radiation. Period.
5. Wrinkles – 90% of wrinkles are caused by excessive sun exposure. Want to save money on Botox and other anti wrinkle remedies? Avoid excessive sun exposure.