Written by Filipe
Why is happiness important? It dictates the quality of your life and how successful you are in your endeavors. Science also proves that those who are happier live longer, are healthier and even smarter. Not that I need to convince you but bottom line is that there is no down side to being happy and it is worth making a habit out of it.
Happiness is the all illusive and ever transforming force that drives people’s lives. It is the essence of who we are and what we do. Through the years of development a person looses sight of their true essence and develops layers of expectations, ideas and concepts of what happiness is. They define it as having something maybe material or a person, associate it with situations like being praised or admired, and even decide whether they deserve it or not at a very early age.
The truth is that happiness is who you are. Since it is who you are searching for it only leaves you lost and confused. A confusion that has probably brought you to read this. Perhaps you have gotten a lot of the things people said would make you happy but they didn’t, or you feel frustrated because the things you most want you don’t currently have.
Whatever the situation may be, the end result is the same misery. Misery that has risen from a false idea of what happiness is. Just so you remember it from this point on I’ll say it one more time, HAPPINESS IS YOU.
Now, you might not know how you got conditioned to be unhappy, or to not be YOU, but the good news is that I will go over some ways how to be yourself again. Here are 7 keys to bringing happiness back in to your life:
1. Surround yourself with happy and positive people. People who vibrate with life, who love who they are, what they do and truly love you. It is the number one thing you can do, because they will naturally bring out who you truly are and help you shine along with them. They are people who love to help and give, because they are abundant so it’s easy to connect with them.
You might already have friends, family or other people in your life who are like this, and if so, spend more time with them. If you don’t have these types of people in your life, make new friends, make an effort to meet and connect with new people who have the qualities you wish to embody.
2. Get out of your head and be present. Since being present is fundamentally who you are it brings forth a sense of peace and happiness. Take moments out of your day to take deep breaths, meditation is always a great practice, focus on feeling your body from head to toe. Also bring your full attention to your actions. If you’re walking, focus on how your feet feel. Feel all the movements that you make in every action. This is not limited to walking etc. but can be applied to any daily activity.
3. Love yourself for who you are unconditionally. Now, this may seem very straightforward but many times it takes courage to completely admit how you feel about yourself. Again, as part of our development in our life we take upon the belief that we are not enough, not worthy or deserving, and feel at conscious or unconscious level that there is something wrong with us. That is all BS, you are more wonderful than you can ever imagine. I can tell you this all day and night, your friends and family could as well, but it would NEVER be enough to convince you otherwise. You hold the key to your own destiny. As Gandhi put it so well, “your beliefs become your thoughts, your thoughts become your words, your words become your actions, your actions become your habits, your habits become your values, and your values become your destiny.”
4. Passion and purpose. It is crucial in your self-development and “pursuit” of happiness to find what your true passion is. Ask yourself: what would I do for years without getting paid? What do I excel at that most don’t? And how can I contribute most to society through this talent.
Most people knew what their purpose was as a child. Perhaps, not consciously or labeled as purpose and passion but it was there. Looking back to what you loved as a child can open you up to what your true purpose is and help you answer the questions above. Until you find your passion at the very least do one thing you enjoy every day.
5. Reframe everything into positive. A great skill practiced by all those who are successful is seeing everything in an empowering perspective. This aspect can be used to change a negative self-image, turn problems into opportunities and create more harmony and stability in a person’s life. For example, if you don’t like something about yourself whether physical or personality, then simply tell yourself that this thing is one of the greatest things about you. “Having my body type is the sexiest thing ever!” You can also use this way of living to change all your problems and difficulties into opportunities that constantly take you to the next level. That could be your belief at all times.
6. Smile and laugh more, it lightens your mood. This is pretty simple and straight forward. However, if you’d like a more complicated explanation of how this works here it is.
Endomorphins or “feel good” chemicals are released in your brain to make you feel happy. While this chemical is released the stress hormone called cortisol is reduced in your brain. Laughing also helps you breathe better and stimulates homeostasis by bringing more oxygen into your body. The other thing is that smiling and laughing puts others in a good mood (emotions are contagious), and increase the positive reactions from people which in turn heightens your mood even more.
7. Change your intentions from always trying to get from others to giving to others WITHOUT expectations. This doesn’t necessarily mean to give away your money and possessions. What it means is to be giving in your interactions. Make your purpose to leave a person happier than how you found them or at least put a smile on their face or make them laugh.
It could also mean donating to charity or something you believe in, or volunteering for something you are passionate about. There are plenty of opportunities to give and what you’ll find is that your life becomes more abundant, more joyful and full of love.