Some time ago, a two-year-old boy in Malaysia lost consciousness and had to be rushed to the hospital due to choking on a piece of bread. After taking four days to get treatment at Selayang Hospital, the child was declared dead.
This case added to the long list of incidents of children who had to die as a result of choking. In fact, around 315 people die each year from choking according to CE Safety.
In addition, CE Safety also revealed that every day there are around 40 children under the age of five who are rushed to the hospital due to choking. And in the past four years, there were 20 children under the age of five who died from choking.
What is more worrisome, about 80 percent of parents do not know what to do when their child or baby chokes. Parents even unconsciously give their children food that often triggers choking, namely sausages.
Based on studies, CE Safety revealed that sausages are the most dangerous food to be served to children. The reason is that sausages have the perfect size and consistency to clog the respiratory tract of children.
The study revealed that sausages are the food that most often causes children under the age of three to choke. About 17 percent of cases are of choking due to food caused by sausages.
Furthermore, CE Safety also revealed several other types of food that often cause children to choke. One of them is popcorn. Crunchy and hard textured foods like popcorn can easily get stuck in the child’s esophagus. Therefore, parents should not give popcorn to small children.
Hard candy can also easily cause children to choke. Studies also show that about 10 percent of food choking cases are caused by hard candy. This type of food should also not be given to small children.
Some other types of food that are at great risk of causing children to choke are rice cakes, chunks of cheese, and white bread. Nuts are also a type of food which quite often causes children to choke. It is estimated that around eight percent of cases of choking due to food are caused by nuts.
Grapes are also one type of food that quite often makes children choke. It is estimated that about nine percent of cases of choking due to food are caused by whole grapes.
Some examples of other foods that parents need to be aware of so that children do not choke are raw vegetables, chewing gum, marshmallows, apples, and chicken with bones.
Choking cases in children can also be caused by something other than food. Some objects that often cause children to choke according to studies are latex balloons, buttons, coins, marbles, small toys to small balls and round-shaped batteries.
CE Safety reminded that new children have the ability to chew and swallow perfectly when reaching age 4-5 years. Sometimes the ability to chew and swallow for a child is perfect when he reaches the age of six years.
“Choking is a serious risk and can be prevented. It is important to be more vigilant about the size of objects that are close to the child because it is very possible that the child takes the object and put it in the mouth,” said CE Safety Spokesman, as reported by the Plymouth Herald.